Solutions for


Find a Rep or Distributor

Home /  LabServices / 

Acoustic Research Facilities

Lab facilityTesting facilities within the lab include two (2) adjacent reverberation chambers (254 [A] and 200 [B] cubic meters in volume) and a newly commissioned Hemi-Anechoic Chamber [E] with a working volume of 49 cubic meters for testing down to 100 Hz. An 8' x 8' transmission loss opening, with a removable frame on an overhead crane system [C] couples the two reverb chambers together. The larger chamber is isolated on an airspring isolation system [D] and both are temperature and humidity controlled to maintain testing accuracy. Separate acoustically isolated control rooms [F] contain state-of-the-art computer based instrumentation for each test chamber. Tests are supervised and performed by experienced personnel proficient in all accredited test procedures.

History

ETS-Lindgren Acoustic Systems Acoustical Research Facility has its origins in an anechoic wedge design program carried out by Jeff Schmitt, former President of Acoustic Systems (known as Tracoustics until 1985). The need for in-house Tracoustics product development quickly became apparent. This led to the present facility design by Schmitt with assistance from consultant Curt Holmer.

 The 200 cubic meter reverberation chamber was completed in 1984 and was initially used on noise reduction (ASTM E596) and sound absorption tests (ASTM C423). The 254 cubic meter reverberation chamber was finished in 1985, taking over duties for sound absorption tests and newly begun sound power tests (ANSI S12.31). A transmission loss frame system was completed in the spring of 1986 and test procedures for sound transmission loss (ASTM E90) were developed. In 1987, with completion of a "free field" test chamber for sound pressure level testing, the facility added noise emission testing of computer and business equipment (ANSI S12.10/ISO 7779) to its scope of accreditation. The large impedance tube used by Schmitt in the aforementioned wedge design program was re-commissioned for normal incident sound absorption measurements using the ASTM C384 procedure. A two-inch (2") diameter impedance tube was added to the facility in the fall of 1988. Both tubes were later converted to the ASTM E1050 test procedure that was added to the laboratory's scope of accreditation in 1995.

David Nelson was named Laboratory Technical Director in 1985. He was the first full-time staff member of Acoustic Systems Acoustical Research Facility to oversee day-to-day functions of the laboratory, to develop the original Quality Manual, and to formulate test procedures. Under David Nelson's direction, the laboratory achieved an accredited status with the National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program (NVLAP) in April 1987.

In July 1997, Michael C. Black was named Laboratory Technical Director for the facility and currently remains in this position. Under his direction the laboratory undertook a major redraft of the ASARF Quality Manual and update of all test procedures.

USA FINLAND UK FRANCE CHINA JAPAN ONLINE
Tel +1.512.531.6400 Tel +358.2.8383.300 Tel +44(0)1438.730700 Tel +33.1.48.65.34.03 Tel +8610.8275.5086 Tel+ 81.3.3813.7100 info@ets-lindgren.com
Fax +1.512.531.6500 Fax +358.2.8651.233 Fax +44(0)1438.730751 Fax +33.1.48.65.43.69 Fax +8610.8275.5537 Fax +81.3.3813.8068 www.ets-lindgren.com

Information presented is subject to change as product enhancements are made. Contact ETS-Lindgren Sales Department for current specification.